Symptoms of diabetes in children
It used to be when you mentioned childhood diabetes, you referred to type 1 diabetes which was characterized by a complete pancreas failure but the rise in childhood obesity has led to a prototypical rise in type 2 diabetes in children as well.
Pre diabetes symptoms
1. Obesity- While obesity is usually a precursor to pre diabetes in children it is a phenomenon with existential qualities. An obese child is more likely than not to contract diabetes but an unexplained and rapid weight loss is usually a pre determinant of diabetes in a child and thus considered a symptom. Weight loss might also prevent diabetes however in a pre diabetic child.
2. Darkened skin – When the body produces excess Insulin to try and combat the regular high glucose levels in the blood will leave some dark rings around a child’s neck and armpits, this condition known as acanthosis nigricans, may be a sign of insulin resistance and pre diabetes.
3. Increase in Hunger- Lack of insulin to help in the energy production process creates a depletion which turn triggers hunger to try and refill the energy reserves.
4. Thirsty and frequent urination. – Excess sugar build up in the bloodstream will cause fluid to be drawn from the cells which may lead to excessive thirst. and As a result, the child will drink and urinate more than usual.
5. Fatigue. – Irritability and fatigue are caused by the lack of glucose in the cells.
6. Blurred vision. High blood sugar will pull fluids from the lenses of your child’s eyes, causing them to be unable to focus clearly.
7. Slow-healing sores or frequent infections. Ability to heal normally and resistant infections are a symptoms of type 2 diabetes in a child as well.
Update Apr 12 2011
8. Wrist size – New Research has found a correlation between wrist size and BMI with levels of insulin resistance, a precurser to type 2 diabetes. Surprisingly, researchers found that it wasn’t necessarily a fatter wrist that correlated with higher heart disease risk, just a larger one. Because higher insulin levels in kids can contribute to increased bone production, larger wrist bones may be a marker of insulin resistance, which in turn is a predictor of future heart disease.
When you see the following symptoms in a child please seek medical advice immediately because it is prudent to catch these symptoms of pre diabetes in children before it is too late.
- Tweets that mention Symptoms of pre diabetes in children | Diabetic tips on effective diabetes management techniques-The poor diabetic -- Topsy.com