Diabetes Mellitus – 12 Important Facts You Need to Know

3

Diabetes is a group of diseases caused by a relative or absolute deficiency of insulin in the body. Insulin is the hormone responsible for the proper uptake and utilization of glucose by the different body cells, the body cells need glucose to produce energy for them to use. The deficiency of this hormone thus causes accumulation of glucose in the blood leading to the development of the disease.

1. Diabetes mellitus is world wide epidemic with about 177 million people living with diabetes mellitus worldwide. This is expected to rise to 300 million by the year 2025.
80% of diabetes mellitus cases live in the developing countries while the remaining 20% live in developed countries.

There are however about 40% of undiagnosed cases. The projected rate of increase in developed countries by 2025 is 42% and 170% in developing countries {WHO1999}

2. Diabetes has no cure, it can only be controlled to keep the blood levels within the normal range and as long as this is maintained there will be less occurrence of complications.

3. It affects people of different sexes, different race, and different background.

4. It can be prevented.

5. It can cause serious hardship and suffering especially if not properly controlled.

6. There are different classes of diabetes;

a.type 1 diabetes mellitus

b.type 2 diabetes mellitus

c.gestational diabetes mellitus

d.impaired glucose tolerance {pre- diabetes}

e.secondary diabetes

7. It is the leading cause of blindness in adults.

8. It is the second most common cause of limb amputation after trauma.

9. It is the fourth most common cause of death in developed countries.

10. The occurrence of stroke and heart attack is four times more common amongst diabetics than in the normal population.

11. Diabetic management includes:

a- health education for diabetics to achieve healthy lifestyles.

b- nutritional consultations to achieve the adoption of healthy diet by the diabetic

c- close medical care and follow up by your physician

d- maintenance of blood sugar levels within normal range, fasting blood sugar

Bello ade is a general practitioner and author of other diabetes related online articles.To learn more about diabetes mellitus visit http://www.diabetesmellitusfacts.blogspot.com

Author: Bello Ade
Article Source: EzineArticles.com
Provided by: Excise Tax

Tagged as: , ,

3 Comments

  1. Hai :)
    Because people with prediabetes have a 50 percent higher risk of heart disease and stroke, make sure you don’t start smoking or quit if you’ve already started.
    Thanks for your articles.

  2. Diabetes mellitus is often simply referred to as diabetes. It is a group of metabolic diseases in which a person has high blood sugar.

  3. The most common type of diabetes is the type 2. Type 2 diabetes develops when the body becomes resistant to insulin or when the pancreas stops producing enough insulin.

SPEAK YOUR MIND

Please note: comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.