10 tips Unclattering the diabetes fitness program.
Could it be that you chose the wrong fitness programs or you are just not exercising enough?
We all know that fitness brings its own set of challenges for a diabetic,
common wisdom dictates that exercise will lower your blood sugars and it is encouraged,
- While fitness will generally lower your blood glucose, you will get a shocker if you test during a workout or right after because your numbers rise before they fall. I found out this titbit earlier last year and had an animated discussion about it on it here.
- Essentially the body through the liver will dump glycogen during exercise that will rise the blood sugar levels.
- Or that it matters greatly what your numbers are before you exercise because numbers above 250 will put you at great risk for DKA and so it is not recommended to exercise when you are that high.
- Aerobic or non aerobic exercises and in what sequences also matter. Recent reports have put the best fitness plan for diabetes to be a combination of aerobics plus weights but at what sequences for optimal results.
- There are recommendations for the duration as well, for example the participants in the above report who saw optimal results worked out at 45 min sessions 3 times a week.
Among all these recommendations and data is the mandate that we have to exercise but beyond that you have to work things on your own as is the beauty of diabetes management and its individuality so here is my attempt to unclutter the diabetes fitness program.
- Never start a fitness program without consulting your doctor first.
- Understand your fitness goals, and create an actionable plan. (some factors will have to addressed depending on your plans and goals, for example work out times, pre and post workout snacks and their times integrated into your overall meal planning.
- Fitness is progressive so if you are just starting out, then start with 5 or even 10 minutes a day and move forward from there as you get stronger.
- Always do exercises like Extreme Body Workout that will elevate your heart rate for an extended period of time.
- Combine both aerobic (cardio) and anaerobic (weight lifting) for Beach Body like optimum results.
- Do not exercise on high numbers above 250 for risk of DKA
- Test frequently and treat as appropriate.( rem the glycogen will increase glucose levels so be careful about over treating)
- For optimal results, test about an hour after work out for an accurate determination
- Choose an achievable target with a specific goal in mind, weight loss, lowering your fasting numbers, this will help make the 90 Day Review fitness program a success.
- Do what you love and include your support structure for extra motivation.
This is a guest post provided by Fitness Alliance
- Tweets that mention 10 tips Unclattering the diabetes fitness program. | The Diabetic -- Topsy.com
- Discover Health & Fitness Success Stories | Health Care